You also want the best for your baby when it comes to clothing. Besides the fact that it should be practical, it should look nice and it should be comfortable for your baby, you may also find it important that the clothing is durable. But what exactly does that mean? And where can you find nice sustainable baby clothes? Below we give you a few useful tips.
You want the best for your child. Not only now, but also later. That is why it is good to think about things you can do to contribute to a more sustainable world. For example, you can opt for sustainable baby clothing. Since babies grow quickly, buying baby clothes is not always sustainable. Yet you have many options for choosing clothes for your baby more consciously. Sustainable baby clothing choices can mean anything. For example, avoiding fast fashion brands, extending the life of the clothes or buying fewer baby clothes. In this way you contribute to a better climate for your child or you can be sure that the clothes are not made in unpleasant working conditions.
By choosing second-hand clothes you extend the life of baby clothes. This way you give the clothes a second life and make sure they don't end up in the trash after a few months. There are several ways to get second-hand clothes. For example, you can borrow or take over this from friends or family. You can also shop second-hand clothes online via Marktplaats or Vinted. If you like to see and feel the baby clothes before you buy it, there are also many nice second-hand children's clothing stores. Examples are Otis and the Wolf in Amsterdam, Childish Kids Shop in Utrecht, Attention! Baby in The Hague Kickaboo! in Rotterdam.
Sustainably produced clothing
Of course it is also nice to buy a few new clothes for your baby. Then you can look at sustainably produced baby clothes. For example, you can opt for sustainable baby clothing made of organic cotton. The difference with regular cotton is that no nasty pesticides have been used that could be harmful to your child. It is also nice to know that the clothes are produced fairly. So whether the makers of the clothing can do this in good conditions and whether they are paid fairly. You can also check whether clothing brands have the GOTS certificate. This certificate indicates that the fibers come from organic farming. Genetic manipulation is not allowed and no chemical or artificial crop protection agents and fertilizers are used. So nice for your baby.
6x sustainable baby clothing brands
Sustainability is often associated with expensive or less hip. That is really no longer the case these days and that is why we have listed a few nice brands for you:
- Nixnut - Nixnut is a somewhat younger brand where they believe in quality over quantity and Fair Trade production over mass production. At Nixnut you will find timeless sustainable baby clothes that are comfortable for your baby and of premium quality. All clothes are made in a fair way in Europe and also from natural and organic materials.
- Phil&Phae - For a few good essentials for your baby you can take a look at this website. At Phil&Phae they believe in soft fabrics and colours, sustainability is important and the clothes are timeless and not seasonal. The clothes are of high quality so that they can last longer. They also work with organic cotton and they find it important that the clothes are made fairly in Europe.
- Gray Label - Renting is of course even more sustainable than buying. We are a big fan of that and that is why Gray Label is a nice option. Here you can rent baby clothes for your baby by means of a subscription. Besides being very durable, it is also handy. Once your baby has outgrown the clothes, you can exchange the clothes for a larger size.
- Dilling - At this clothing brand from Denmark you will find beautiful organic underwear for the whole family. For example, they have fine sustainable rompers in different colors for your baby. The production takes place in Europe and the production of the clothing is ecological. Because the underwear comes directly from the manufacturer, it is also nicely priced.
- Ziloen - This nice webshop was founded by mother and daughter. At ziloen you will find various organic and sustainable clothing for your baby made of wool, silk and cotton. In addition to sweet baby clothes, you can also find other sustainable products at Ziloen, such as wooden toys.
- Nanami - This lifestyle brand for babies is inspired by nature. That is why they only use ecological and natural materials. In addition, the fabrics are also super soft. In addition to sweet baby clothes, they also have many other nice things, such as diaper cloths, nursing pillows and more.
- While it may be a lot of fun for your friends and family to pick out baby clothes and give them as gifts when you have just given birth, it is not the most sustainable gift. You often get a lot of clothes in a certain size so that your baby can only wear these clothes a few times. You can therefore indicate that you are happier with other things. Need more inspiration? Then take here take a look.
- Invest in good basics. This is not only great for yourself, but also for your baby. So make sure you have a few nice timeless basics of good quality. You can combine these with all kinds of clothes and are often not seasonal. This way you can also easily pass the clothes on to friends and family.
- To top it off, you can choose to switch to ecological detergent. A brand that we like is, for example, the organic and fair trade detergent from Soap.